Saturday, August 14, 2010

being an Indian ...

I have wondered.. discussed.. thought .. as in what exactly is being Indian. The chaps living on the other end of Indus river ! ? I have built my affinity to being an Indian on many grounds .. set of common prejudices .. common weaknesses.. common incapabilities.. common jugaad ideas ... common ancestors... and one big one being common raj!! ... how we have been so brought together by those folks!! Hardly we would 've recognized each other if it weren't for them ...

So the point being I witness these Facebook videos on being an Indian .. the Great Indian Zero and Chip inventors of India etc etc... I feel sense of nothing anymore.. I just don't do ! ... its as if the whole idea of being Indian is just a farce .. how can common Bollywood or cricket or Bombay stock exchange or Nehru or Gandhi or IIT or IIM be the only elements of resultant kinship.. and the only other thing that binds us is religion and its people... so am I encompassing all the essentials building blocks of the nation state of being Indian .. or is there more to it? Why I feel like writing about it? Why does goose bumps don't feel genuine anymore? Why do I feel almost nauseated when I feel those goose bumps ...

I know why... cauz I have been doing absolutely nothing about those goose bumps! .. its like that feeling which has made you feel nice time and again .. only now you are just so sick of its vanity!! :(

few posts that I have been bumping into and have bumped into or have keyed in myself - all adding to farcity ...

Update 1 -

2 comments:

Sandy said...

nice post..nice thot...wt makes u an indian or anybody else,is wot u do or wot dat anybody else, does..i guess,its more of being recognised and remebered with..and ofcourse a name follows..a category made and differentiated with the rest..der gotta be sumthn in common for one to categorised as sumthin.. for u to be categorised as an Indian..sumthin dat either u follow sum1 or sum1 else follow wot u do...u probb wont be the chip designer then or today,atleast u r contribution to sum designers in sumway..so ya,u r def one of dem :):)

Anonymous said...

nice post! Thanks Sandy for letting me know. As always a pleasure to hear Guptaji's views.

-Abhilash